At Beauty Insider, we adore makeup – all types of makeup from simple to EXTRA. With that love and adoration, last Halloween we launched our Halloween Makeup Competition with Y.O.U Beauty Malaysia. We were in awe of the amazing talent that our Malaysians creatives had, which made the decision making difficult. Although, Faara Iska’s sppok-tacular look fit all the aspects we were looking for in a winning look and we just had to give her the praise she deserved!
In this Insider Spotlight, we interviewed Faara Iska to find out details behind the brilliant mind behind her winning look.
1. Can you share with us some unique makeup hacks that you used to create this Halloween makeup look?
I used the Y.O.U Beauty Eyeliner to make my teeth look dirty to accomplish the rotten look. Additionally, a plastic wrapper was utilised to cover my head as an attempt to give the illusion of a bald head.
2. Which was your favorite YOU Beauty product to use, and why?
My favourite product from Y.O.U Beauty were the eyeshadows. They were pigmented and allowed me to contour my face, helping me achieve the Gollum look.
3. How long did it take for you to complete this look, and what part was your favorite part to do?
It took me three hours to complete this look. My favourite part of creating this look was when I was attaching the bald cap and wig.
4. Tell us more about this look? Where did you get the inspiration from?
To be honest, I got the idea to create this look at the very last minute. I scrolled through TikTok for inspiration and saw Charlotte Roberts’s Gollum look and decided to recreate it using the awesome Y.O.U Beauty products I received.
5. How do you stay abreast of the latest beauty trends?
I usually look out for beauty trends from TikTok by following beauty content creators and Beauty News channels.
6. How did you start your makeup journey?
I started nearly 16 years ago in 2006 when I first purchased my very own Maybelline Mascara and an eyelash curler. That was when I knew that makeup was my true passion.
7. Can you share with us your earliest beauty/makeup memory?
I believe Joker was my firsr attempt at SFX makeup. From then on, I fell in love with SFX makeup that I often work on now.
8. What’s your favorite part about Halloween makeup compared to other events/festivals?
In my opinion, I believe that when it comes to Halloween there is a lot more room for exploration and creativity. The event influences a lot of creativity and gives people a reason to play with makeup and discover their passion. Plus, it also provides room for people to play with more than just makeup, they could use props too!
9. Which makeup artists do you look up to?
There are many that I look up to especially in SFX makeup which is my true passion. I would have to say I love @ELLIMACSSFX and @PROMISETAMANG.
10. What made you fall in love with Halloween/creative makeup looks?
In creative makeup, there are no rules. When I make a mistake, I don’t have to remove it. All I have to do is adjust it abd I might even end up creating something totally different from what I envisioned which is awesome! I could also add propa and headpieces without worrying about looking weird.
11. Did you find it challenging to create this look and did the products from Y.O.U Beauty pose more as a challenge?
It was quite a challenge because it took some time for me to settle on an idea. I am absolutely happy with how it all turned out in the end. The Y.O.U Beauty products really helped me achieve the look I envisioned.
12. What are the essential must-haves when creating a Halloween makeup look?
For this look in particular, the essentials are face paint and latex.
13. What is your favorite makeup tool?
This may not come as a surprise, but my favourite tools are face paint and latex.
14. What products do you consider to be essentials in doing a makeup look?
The basics for me are eyeshadow, eyebrow pencil, and lipstick.
15. What is your favorite makeup brand?