After a long day, face steaming is a great way to unwind and relax while pampering your skin. But, steam facial treatment at spas can be expensive so if you are looking for a way to step up your skincare game without breaking the bank, then you’ve come to the right place. Read on to find out how to get the effortless gorgeous looking skin with just a few simple steps that you can do at home.
Now, what is facial steaming, if you wonder, it is a DIY skin treatment that brings so many benefits to your face in a cost-effective way that you can easily conjure up at home. It helps to cleanse, nourish and keep your skin clear and healthy. Apart from that face steaming also opens up the pores, enabling sebum to flow and avoid their build-up. Furthermore, it encourages trapped dirt, debris and bacteria to be removed either by washing after or flushed out by sweating. It loosens blackheads and sheds dead skin.
Here Are All The Amazing Benefits of Steam Facial.
1. Steam Facial Increase Blood Circulation
The higher temperature from the steam triggers sweating, the body’s natural way to cool down. It also dilates the small blood vessels and capillaries, inducing increased blood flow. Increasing blood circulation brings more oxygen and other nutrients to the skin.
2. Steam Facial Provides Deep Cleansing
Facial steam can release all the dead skin cells, bacteria, and other impurities that clog pores and contribute to acne. It also releases trapped sebum, a type of oil that is produced by our body to lubricate your skin and hair.
3. Steam Facial Keeps The Skin Hydrated.
The sweating from the steam hydrates the skin and increases the skin’s natural oil production which keeps the skin moisturized. It also helps our skin to better absorb skincare products.
4. Steam Facial Is A Great Anti- Ageing Treatment.
The increased blood flow experienced during a steam facial promotes collagen and elastin production. It is not just not soothing and relaxing but also make the skin firmer and younger-looking!
5. Steam Facial Can Help Relieve Sinus Issues.
Facial steam can help relieve sinus congestion and headaches that often accompany it. Adding certain essential oils to your steam can boost the effect plus it’s also super affordable and can be done at your home using items you already have.
The 6 Simple Steps To Do A Soothing Steam Facial At Your Home.
1. Make sure to secure hair so that it doesn’t get on your face and cleanse using a gentle and oil-free exfoliating cleanser. Don’t forget to cleanse your neck, too! Then, rinse your face with lukewarm water. Try using Clarins One-Step Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser, Origins GinZing Refreshing Scrub Cleanser and St Ives Nourished & Smooth Oatmeal Scrub & Mask. These cleansers also act as a scrub which can re-energize and revitalize your complexion.
2. Then, pour 4-6 cups of water into a medium to large size bowl and add a beauty tea bag, to the water and boil the tea. Beauty teas like green tea, chamomile tea and others offer good for our skin because they contain polyphenols which increase antioxidants and anti-ageing benefits when applied topically. Let it boil for about 2-3 minutes over low heat.
3. Next, add a handful of herbs and flowers of your choice into the boiling water. Let it boil on medium heat for another 2-3 minutes while you stir the mixture slowly.
Here are the type of flowers and herbs you can use depending on your skin type and need:
- Lavender – for stress and insomnia
- Chamomile- reduce skin inflammation and dermatitis
- Parsley – a natural astringent and heals acne
- Geranium – a natural astringent
- Orange – helps open pores and brighten the skin
- Eucalyptus – relieves nasal decongestion and acne
- Fennel – contains anti-ageing antioxidants
- Rosemary- for those with oily skin.
4. Slowly, reduce the heat and carefully lean over to the boiling mixture, Keep your face 6- 8 inches away. You don’t want to get too close to the bowl or sink and risk getting burned. You can control the heat by raising or lowering your head over the water. You can also add essential oils to the mixture.
Try adding Garden of Life’s Organic Essential Oil Starter Pack with four travel size bottles of Lavender, Peppermint, Lemon, Tea Tree. You can add four of the oils to the mixture or just one. Adding oils to your steam offer extra benefits to the skin.
5. Have a seat and drape a towel over your head and the pot. Adjust the towel so that it covers your entire face, including the eyes, leaving just your nose peeking through. Steam your face for about 10 minutes or until the steam dissipates then rinse your face with lukewarm water.
6. The last step of the process is to massage your face. Use your fingers to gently massage your forehead, cheeks, and neck using upward strokes. Unless you have oily or sensitive skin, you can use a bit of essential oil to enhance your massage.
7. After that, if you want to create a home facial spa then continue on with applying a face mask followed by your favourite toner, serum and moisturizer. The effects of your moisturizer or serum will be enhanced after steam. This is a great time to use an anti-ageing cream, for younger-looking glowing skin.
Here are some good anti- ageing moisturizers: Olay’s 7-in-One Anti-Aging Moisturizer, L’Oreal RevitaLift Anti-Wrinkle + Firming Face/ Neck Contour Cream and Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream.
The Bottom Line Is…
As you can see creating an at-home steam facial is an easy and inexpensive technique to add to your skincare routine especially when you don’t have the time to head to the spa. Steam your face, weekly once and your skin will begin to feel less dull, more hydrated, and will have that natural glow you’ve always wanted.
If you don’t mind splurging, then you can get yourself a steam machine. Facial steamers offer more powerful than an at-home steam facial. A steam machine will adjust the heat based on your skin’s sensitivity level and overall gives you a relaxing and effective experience.
Remember to read your facial steamer’s instructions and fill it up as directed. Place it on a table near an outlet so you can plug it in. It will take a few minutes to begin emitting steam. Again, make sure to secure your hair so that it’s off your face and wash your face using a gentle exfoliating cleanser.
Have a seat, get comfortable, and set your face inside the cone attachment, staying 5 to 10 inches away as it says to do in your steamer’s instruction booklet. Steam for 2 or 3 minutes at a time with a 1-minute break in between to see how your skin is handling the steam.
There are so many great facial steamer machines that you can get. The best facial steamer machine in the market, for now, is the Panasonic Facial Ionic Steamer. Generated with nanoparticles this steamer can cleanse your skin and keep it moisturized for a healthy, natural-looking complexion.